Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Dr. Todorov please...layering sunscreen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Protection / UV damage / Sunscreens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Dr. Todorov please...layering sunscreen. Reply with quote

I'm using UV Natural sunscreen (24.8% nano zinc).

I would like to layer it with Dr. Obagi Oclipse C sunscreen because it contains Fractionated Melanin to protect against Visible (blue) light. The Dr.Obagi Oclipse C sunscreen contains titanium dioxide as its active ingredient. Both are mineral (physical) sunscreens.

Can I do this without compromising the UVA protection? I'm more afraid of losing the UVA protection, and less concerned with compromising the SPF/UVB protection. I want to make sure that I am still getting the protection of the zinc, titanium dioxide and Fractionated Melanin.
Discohouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in order to know what to do, one should first ask the company selling that melanin product whether the melanin in the product needs to sit on top of the skin in order to reflect the blue light, or whether it is meant to be absorbed into the skin. As for the titanium in it, we know for a fact that is needs to sit on top of the skin to reflect.

If the fractioned melanin is meant to be absorbed into the skin in order to protect against blue light, then I would just wait 20-30 minutes after putting on the fractioned melanin then put on a correct amount (1/4 teaspoon for face and another 1/4 teaspoon for your neck) of your UV Natural sunscreen on top.

As for the titanium dioxide in that fractioned melanin product, since it is a physical blocker, I would guess that it's reflective abilities would be diluted quite substantially upon layering the UV Natural sunscreen containing only zinc oxide in it, making it almost useless, given the fact that physical sunscreens are formulated precisely to spread in a certain way over the skin to gain coverage, and mixing anything with it could change it's coverage ability, even though one might not be able to see it visibly with one's eyes without proper lab equipment for sunscreen testing.

It would be great to see frationed melanin used in conjunction in a high zinc oxide formula, if it indeed does help to protect against blue light.

As for DIYing the fractioned melanin into your own product (I would omit the titanium dioxide or any other sunscreen physical or chemical blockers when DIYing), if it is available for sale somewhere, one might be able to DIY, but one would first need to research whether it needs to sit on skin or be absorbed into skin, and also to research what other ingredients can be combined into it without compromising it's stability, proper pH, etc.
It would also be crucial to know how much is needed to be correctly applied to sit on the skin in order to protect from blue light, if this were even the mechanism by which it works.
Donnie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, Discohouse.

Even though the two formulas may not be compatible, and they may not give the total protection that I desire, do you think that the very least...the 24% zinc will stay intact, or do you believe that it may diminish to an amount much lower than 24%?

I know this is difficult to compute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Protection / UV damage / Sunscreens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: