Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Dr T : Opinion on growth factors for anti-aging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Dr T : Opinion on growth factors for anti-aging Reply with quote

Greetings Dr. Todorov,
I'm a long time follower of yours, yet absent for a few years. I always hold your opinion in highest regards so I submit this question.

I recently had 5 syringes of Bellafill injected into my face along with a bit of Botox. Upon leaving, I purchased skincare items branded "Regentica." Please forgive me if I should not use specific brand names in this forum. I did a bit of research when I came home to find the technology behind this line is growth factors. Beyond that I can't find more extensive information as far as studies go, success rates, etc. The products are very expensive (for my budget anyway!)

What is your opinion on this approach to skincare? With many thanks!
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to use Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media, which is similar to what TNS-SkinMedica uses if I recall correctly. It presumably contains growth factors and can potentially have positive biological effects on the skin, but growth factors are proteins. It is difficult to keep them stable and penetrate dermis. It is conceivable that well formulated products partially overcomes these hurdles, but whether this one does - I can't say. Also, people have quite varied response to growth factors.

Incidentally, many years ago, I worked with fibroblast conditioned media in the lab. It does contain growth factors (how much depends on the source and age of the original fibroblasts as well as generations of the culture) but also many other proteins, including growth inhibitors. How much of each depends on the culturing conditions and many other factors.
Mars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as always, Dr. Todorov!

I attempt to research my commitments in regards to skincare choices (or any other decisions for that matter) and this area is newer for me. I can't wait to delve into the subject of growth factors a little deeper and probably come back with even more questions and opinions for you to tackle.

My degree is in chemistry and this forum has always been fascinating and enlightening because of your willingness to share your knowledge and expertise.

With Very Kind Regards and Gratitude!
spaqueen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
They seem to use Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media, which is similar to what TNS-SkinMedica uses if I recall correctly.

I've been using a product that has "human adipose stromal cell conditioned media extract" as the #1 ingredient, at least that is what it says on the packaging.

Their website says it's APT-200.

I understand it has something to do with growth factors.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibroblasts are stromal cells
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: