Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Copper peptieds and DNA damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Copper Peptides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vozarov

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Copper peptieds and DNA damage Reply with quote

I have been using copper peptides from SB for the last 4 month with great results. Recently I came across a claim in one of the chat rooms, that copper peptieds can damage DNA.
Dr. Todorov, what are your thought on the subject?
Thanks.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the specific context. Some amount of copper is essential to every organ and is usually bound to proteins and peptides. In fact, copper deficiency may cause free radical damage to DNA and other structures because copper is a part of Cu-Mn SOD, a type of antioxidant enzyme. On the other hand, excess free copper increases free radical production and can damage many things, including DNA.

So far I haven't seen any evidence that commercial copper peptide preparations increase or reduce DNA damage. Both are theoretically possible, and may depend on the particular formulation. But reseach is needed to figure that out. It would be prudent to use caution with extra strength formulations of copper peptides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Copper Peptides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: