Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Beta Alistine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Beta Alistine Reply with quote

I noticed that there is a postive review for Beta Alistine skincare products on this site. Would you be able to provide any furthur information or reviews of its effectiveness?

Thanks.
cjdavis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Beta Alistine is just a registered name for Beta-Alanine L-Histidine, an amino acid complex that is more commonly referred to as carnosine. It was cleverly renamed for marketing purposes. Carnosine does have some intriguing research behind it for numerous antiaging effects (most notably it's affect on AGE's) but how does it fair as a skin care treatment?
Well the company that holds some sort of use patent (which never get enforced in civil court BTW) on topical carnosine, CSIRO has some unpublished IN VITRO data with the common fibroblast model used in most skin care in vitro studies. Older published in vitro studies found carnosine effective for dermal wound healing. The operative word here is IN VITRO. Topically applied amino acids are very hard to get into the lower layers of the skin and accurately extrapolating in vitro skin fibroblast studies to studies using a topical application of the same chemical is very difficult. We need to see publish research on topical carnosine before it can be listed as a proven wrinkle fighter in MY opinion. I'm not sure what Dr. Todorov thinks. Also worth mentioning is that carnosine is rapidly complexed by the carnosinase enzyme (I didn't check to see if this enzyme is present in skin or not) but the acetylated form (N-Alpha Acetyl-L-Carnosine ) may not be. Beta alanine is formed from carnosine by the carnosinase enzyme and this may be what is active in the purported skin restoration effects of carnosine. Beta alanine was found to stimulate the biosynthesis of nucleic acids and collagen in another in vitro study of wound healing.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, beta-alistine (carnosine) seems promising based on some test-tube data, but there's no data whatsoever to show that it works when applied to human skin in a cream.
Fishmerised

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmn, I've started to use one of these products, the 'Line Delete Time Suspension Plus' serum. In truth I can't say whether the beta alistine (carnosine) and MPF-1 (milk protien factor 1) is beneficial because I'm using other products in conjunction with it. Since starting these new products (the other one is 'Pure Prai' serum, extract of prai root and demoxal) my skin has improved in clarity and firmness, also fine lines and wrinkles are diminished slightly. Has anyone else tried these products?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: