Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

cleansers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tannenhauser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: cleansers Reply with quote

hi.

i am looking for a really good cleanser.. i dont mind spending the extra buck as long as it gets the job done.

i previously used proactiv but my acne has gone away now... my main problems are blackheads on the nose and nose area and blemishes. my skin is pretty normal and i guess gets a little oily in the summer heat..

someone suggested i try la prairie's cleanser
good choice? any suggestions?

drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See user reviews of cleansers here: http://www.smartskincare.com/reviews/product/functionidx/clean/
essentialskincare

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll need to spend a lot of money on a facial cleanser. From my experience the best solution that has worked for my skin has been using an all natural handmade facial soap with Tea Tree and Manuka Oil. Although most people haven't caught on to the benefits of manuka oil, it is related to Tea Tree oil but is about 30 time more effective at killing certain bacteria's. Also I've found that Dead Sea Minerals are great to fight acne prone skin. I add Dead Sea Minerals to the facial soap I make and there are also a ton of Dead Sea Mud, Mineral, Salt facial soaps which shouldn't cost you more than $10.00 at the most.

I've also found that if you tend to suffer from blackheads you might want to instead invest money into getting a simple Home Microdermabrasion System. I use mine once a week and have had a huge improvement not only with acne like blackheads but with the overall glow of my skin and texture.

If your skin is oily you might also consider an all natural toner with essential oils. I also add Green Tea Extracts and Algae Extracts in the toner I make. I've found that it absorbs all my access oils, prevents access oil production and helps give my skin that final cleaning.Which ever route you choose the more natural your facial soap the better I've found. Facial cleansers that are too harsh can actually strip your skin of needed oils causing your skin to produce even more oil thus further irritating your acne. After washing your face, you skin should not feel dry and irritated. Hope this info has helped.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra,

You input is appreciated, but please do not post links to your products. Please see our posting guidelines. Promotional posts are not allowed and users who promote their products in their posts will get banned. Advertising belongs in the advertising section.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser. I have been using it for a month - it is not drying and doesn't make your skin tight and at the same time it cleanses well. It is a yellowish gel, doesnt foam, and contains Licorice root extract (anti-irritant). You can find it at every CVS or Osco at pretty good price.
maxxilla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a DIY oil cleanser (an oil-based cleanser that is water-soluble). I also use a DIY astringent/toner. The combo seems to be more effective than the store-bought cleansers I've used in preventing new blackheads from forming.
summerducks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Paula's Choice, for normal to dry skin, think it's called one step face cleanser. It's cheap and it works REALLY good for me. It costs $13.95 for 16 oz (which lasts me for like a year - haven't finished my first bottle yet). I used to use Biotherm's and it was really weak, I had to wash my face 3 times to take off my makeup. I wear foundation and nasty to take off mascaras, before, after I wash my face (Oh I used to use Maria Garland (something like that) and some other brands I don't remember now), I would get major racoon eyes becuase the cleanser didn't take my mascara off! Hated it, had to use q-tips every night.

I only use a small amount of Paula's cleanser and rub it on my face gently and rinse with my hands and it's all gone! All the other stuff in her line are mediocore, but her cleanser (for normal to dry skin - havent' tried the other cleansers) are awesome!

Hope it helps.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

summerducks wrote:
I only use a small amount of Paula's cleanser and rub it on my face gently and rinse with my hands and it's all gone! All the other stuff in her line are mediocore, but her cleanser (for normal to dry skin - havent' tried the other cleansers) are awesome!

Hope it helps.

I've used the Paula's one step cleanser before. It's ok but I found it too drying. About her products - I agree that many are mediocre except her Salicylic Acid exfoliators and the silicone base moisturizer 'Skin Balancing Moisture Gel' which is good for oily sensitive skin. Check her 'bestsellers', these are the products worth trying.
ebeth33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cleansers, just make sure they don't have sodium laurel or laureth sulphates! The sulphates are used by dermatologists, to induce dermatitis when they need to test remedies. Most foaming cleansers have it but some don't the ones that don't are usually found at the health food stores.
when you find one, you can add say 10-20 drops of bergamot BF essential oil to it as it regulates acne, oily & combo skin, is non drying and smells lovely to boot.
For the blackhead problem I suggest a bentonite clay mask 1-2 times a week. I absolutely love Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, it's totally cheap too, you find it at Whole Foods.
Jen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to research ingredients... a lot of times people think they have sensitive skin, but really they are just allergic to what's in the product....be aware of what you are using and try to determine what your skin likes and what it doesn't :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: