Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

What can I do?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: What can I do?! Reply with quote

Hi,
Im an 18 year old that has recently been batteling with dry skin, its not extremely dry but still its dry. I use to have beautiful skin that was very smooth but due to a skincream I believe that my skin has been stripped of some vital oils. But im not sure if thats the case please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyhow my skin is now quite dry and looks dull.
My question is if my skin can turn back to normal without me being forced to follow difficult dryskin regimes for the rest of my life? And is there anywa yfor me to regain my normal skin? Can these vital oils (that i think are the cause) be restored without being forcesd to use skin creams? If I follow a skin routine for some time will my skin go back to normal?
My brother once told me that he heard a dermatologist say that if you use skincreams on normally functioning skin the skin will start an aging process is that true?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the cream u used have exfoliation acids in it? If that is the case you may experience overexfoliation symptoms - the skin surface gets dry and flaky. Fortunately it will flake off in a week and the usual soft skin will apear below. Simply stop using the product.

Personally I don't have the experience that ANY topical cream can alter someone's skin PERMANENTLY in positive or negative direction. Creams can at most protect or irritate but once you stop them your skin goes back to its usual state.

If your skin is still dry WITHOUT APPLYING ANY PRODUCT ON IT FOR DAYS and it doesnt flake you can moisturize it with pure Jojoba oil or Emu Oil. The are not comedogenic.
safina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi orangehrzn,
Well my skin started to get drier when I stopped using the cream.
At that time it was winter and I also was using a facial soap. But it stated n the facial soap that it wouldnt dry my skin....could the soap have changed my skin permanently?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, dry winter air as well as soap can contribute to dry skin. Stop using any soaps, detergents, toners and cleansers for a while - just use water. See if that helps. If relative humidity is low where you are, consider humidifier. And drink a lot of water.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin naturally produces more oil in Summer and less oil in Winter. That's why most acne problem skins 'flare up' in the summer and behave better in Winter.

The soap can't change your skin permanently. It simply dries your skin when you use it no matter what they say at the label. You should stop using facial cleanser/soap at all or find a gentler facial cleanser and use it at most two times daily (morning and evening). You may want to try Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser - it is non drying if you don't overuse it.

About the facial cleansers, some 'skin theoreticians' say that they are too drying if they contain the detergent Sodium Laureth Sulfate. The Eucerin cleanser above contains it but it doesn't make my skin dry so it is also a question how the cleanser is formulated. Any cleanser has to contain detergent by definition, which will strip your skin oils partially doesnt matter if that detergent is SLS or not. That's what cleansers do - they strip oils. You just have to find a cleanser that strips enough oils to clean your skin yet doesn't strip too much to make it dry. The best indicator if the cleanser is good for your skin is not to pay attention whats on the label but to try it in practice.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

FYI, SLS is an ionic detergent, these are generally much stronger that nonionic detergents. So, if one can't avoid cleansers altogether, one possibility is to use cleansers with nonionic detergents.

SLS, incidentally, is popular in research as a standardized way to produce mild superficial skin damage.
safina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see ..its been about a year since I stopped using this cream and I'm still not back to normal so i t feels like something must have changed.
Vut nevertheless Thank you very much for your enriching answers! You helped me out alot! :D . I will try to follow your advice. I've found a book called "Natural recipe for perfect skin" by Cousin. It has diffrent natural recipes that you can make your self. Have any of you heard of it? I have a last question doe normal healthy and young skin need to use products?
lesleyhardie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a very sensitive skin and it started when I was very young. at that time i didn't know about these kind of things and used to wash my face with face soap!!!! Very harsh back then. I always had a red, peeling face. When I got older and found mild liquid facial cleansers and lotions that worked for me, there was a big turn around. I also went to a different area for a week and still using the same products on my face, the old problem came back. The only thing I could think of was the water. I used bottled water for my face and it cleared up, then when I returned home i went back to using tap water as usual. no problem!!! Maybe a coincidence???? Also many products, although supposed to be hypoallergenic do the same thing to my face. I have had a lot of trial and error.
happychick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A skin care regime for dry skin does not need to be difficult. What's important is to follow the full regime (cleansing and moisturising) daily and to avoid using anything which will dry your skin further. I have found a cleanser which is natural, non drying and smells lovely. I get it direct via the internet www.acacialane.com.au. Good luck :) :)
ebeth33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I'd agree the face soap, unless it's super fatted and SLS free is what's causing your dryness. But you could just need some better circulation. a nonce a week mask of a homemade avocado & honey is messy but very moisturizing and I find that the aztec indian healing clay (no I dosn't sell this) really wakes up your face, on the label it even says "feel your face pulsate"

Or perhaps she started something different, like going on Birth control?
Drinking Alcohol?
Smoking?
I too don't belive a skin cream would cause dryness for a year after use, that's just rediculous! Drink lot's of water and use a sunscreen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: