Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

beta glucan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesherried

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: beta glucan Reply with quote

Does beta glucan provide any skin benefits when applied topically? I haven't really give a lot of attention to this ingredient lately with the focus on all the others, but here's an article from www.worldhealth.net (American Academy for Anti-Aging Medicine) that caught my attention.

Beating The Aging Process Naturally: Study First To Prove Beta Glucan Penetrates Skin
The fight against aging has received a scientific boost thanks to an innovative study done in part by a University of Alberta spin-off company--research that dispels a hard-held belief about the natural ingredient, beta glucan. The study, published in the current issue of International Journal of Cosmetic Science, is the first to show that oat beta glucan can penetrate the skin despite years of doctors and scientists believing that the large molecule was too big.

The finding is significant, not only in the treatment of skin disorders and removing fine lines and wrinkles but in the promotion of wound healing and reduction in scaring following surgical procedures, says Dr. Mark Redmond, president and CEO of Ceapro Inc, a spin-off company formed in the late 1980s to commercialize technology from the University of Alberta's faculties of pharmacy and medicine for the treatment of cold sores.

Beta-glucan is the soluble fiber found in the cell walls of oat kernels. Oat has a long history of safe use in providing fast, temporary relief of itching and pain associated with minor skin irritations, has reported to improve the appearance of smoother skin and has helped wound healing. But it has been long believed that such a large molecule as beta glucan was too big to penetrate the skin.

In this paper, Redmond and his co-authors describe using beta glucan-specific tracking dyes to show the skin penetration did take place. "Interestingly, the glucan penetrates in the same way that water penetrates a brick wall--it does not go through the brick, it goes through the concrete binding the bricks together," says Redmond. "As a result of our study, we now know that glucan works through the inter-cellular lipid matrix, or the cells' cement, to enter the lower levels of the skin. Of medical significance is the fact that beta glucan creams promote wound healing and reduction in scaring following surgical procedures."

The research team, made up of Redmond, Ravi Pillai and Joachim Roding both from Symrise, then measured the depth of the skin that the glucan penetrated. Photographs show the actual reduction of wrinkles and consumers should expect to see similar results on themselves in as little as 10 days, says Redmond. Beta glucan is already used in a number of products available to consumers including brand name products from Johnson and Johnson and Schering Plough. "The proof that we provide in this paper and other research that we have conducted is that glucan can have a specific and measurable effect on skin beyond making you look good and feeling great," says Redmond. "We also have indications that a number of applications in cosmetics are in the works to use glucan as the non-invasive alternative to Botox for those who are afraid of needles."

Ceapro has also discovered that beta glucan can be used as a transdermal delivery system to feed drugs and other compounds into the skin. This development may lead to new and better ways of delivering such medicines as antihistamines and pain relievers.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds interesting, but just from this article it is hard to judge their claims. First, it is just one study. Second, I need to see their methodology. For example, when they measure penetration by the skin distribution of the dye-tagged beta glucan, how do they make sure that the dye does not split off the beta-glucan, in which case they would only measure the penetration of the dye itself (which is a small molecule that penetrates very differently).

If I have time, I will read the original study in the Intenational Journal of Cosmetic Science, and if I find anything interesting, post it on this site.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: beta glucan Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
This sounds interesting, but just from this article it is hard to judge their claims. First, it is just one study. Second, I need to see their methodology. For example, when they measure penetration by the skin distribution of the dye-tagged beta glucan, how do they make sure that the dye does not split off the beta-glucan, in which case they would only measure the penetration of the dye itself (which is a small molecule that penetrates very differently).

If I have time, I will read the original study in the Intenational Journal of Cosmetic Science, and if I find anything interesting, post it on this site.

Thanks Dr. Todorov. I actually wondered about the same thing as I read this: how would they know if it wasn't just the dye alone that penetrated the epidermis, rather than the beta glucan and the dye combined? I guess we dont know yet for sure, and I am aware of the fact that one is generally not a good statistical number...but at least its something to consider.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: beta glucan Reply with quote

My understanding is that beta glucan is a polysaccharide composed of glucose molecules. Does that mean that it could potentially increase glycation in the skin (cross-linking between sugar molecules and protein molecules), thus eventually giving the skin a rough look, rather than a smooth look? But then maybe combined with lipoic acid (which Dr. Perricone claims helps prevent glycation), or combined with carnosine(which is often recommended for preventing glycation...I know Dr. Denese recommends it for topical application to the skin, and the LEF, or Life Extension Foundation recommends it too), this might not be a problem. I'm just speculating here.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Glycation occurs mainly due to free glucose because only free glucose can exist in the highly chemically active aldehyde form. When part of a polymer, glucose is not an aldehyde and is not likely to contribute much to glycation.
nyonyakay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only just seen this thread. What I can say is that I have added powdered yeast beta glucan to my face cream at a concentration of 1%. Though I certainly can't speak for its dermal penetration (or lack thereof) it appears to have anti-inflammatory, and skin-smoothing effects. I have now concocted a 1% yeast beta glucan plus 10% retinyl palmitate face cream for myself. The result, I hope, will be skin rejuvenation without the irritation from retinol.
carolina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: nyonyakay Reply with quote

Hi nyonyakay,

What was the result you got from this mixture? and what percentage of retin - A did you use in it?? How did you do your cream? I mean you did mix the Beta glucan first in water then mixed with cream and mix with retin ?

Thanks

Regards

C
ShellySn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: beta glucan Reply with quote

Does anyone have access to call of duty black ops 3 beta because i think its going to have real chance at become a good fps muliplayer

also post what you think as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Other Actives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: