Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Which skin peel to try

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Non-Invasive Procedures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Which skin peel to try Reply with quote

Hi,
I was curious...I want to try doing an at home peel. I have been researching for a while, but I want to make sure I make the best choice. I am 27 yrs old and have been using for the last 5 yrs ProActiv (which I love) I use the 3 step system, which my skin has long adjusted to. I want to start young in taking care of my skin, I've been using spf 30 since I was 19, and I don't tan. I do look very young (I get carded for lottery tickets! lol) And I have some freckling on my face from when I used to tan in high school that I'd like to fade.
So, 2 months ago I started using the Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Pads which have 10% Glycolic Acid and 2% Salicylic Acid at night and Olay Regenerist Perfecting Cream following the pads. So far I have noticed that my pores have greatly diminished and my skin is much smoother.
Last April I had a Biomedic 20% Beta hydroxy peel done at my dermatologists office. I peeled very little in just a few small spots and I loved the results. The problem is that I cannot afford to continue to have the peels done professionally. I have been researching for several months, mainly from this website as well as sites such as, Platinum Skincare, LaraChem, and Makeup Artists Choice. I'd like to start with an at home peel from one of these sites but I'm not sure yet which to try.

If anyone has any experience with at home peels or any advice, I'd greatly appreciate hearing it.

Thank you,
Lola
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people do not need agressive, strong peels until at least the age of 30.
Lola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about strong agressive peels, to me strong means going under and having a deep chemical peel.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. But 20% peels, whether AHA or even BHA are moderately strong. Even those may not necessarily be appropriate under 30. You may want to stick with 15% or less AHA. Epecially if you are using retinoids.
Of course, if you have specific issues, like acne scars, blemishes, etc., then stronger peels may be worth considering.
Lola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, but when I had the 20% peel my skin tolerated it just fine. And I see nothing wrong with doing a light peel once or twice a year. I also know to stop using my glycolic acid pads for several days before I do a peel, and use very gentle cleansers and moisturizers, like Emu oil, for the time that my skin is healing. Also, one of my cousins who is now 40, started doing light peels at around my age, and her skin is gorgeous.

Thanks
susanneschmaling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Peels Reply with quote

Have you tried to see a professional licensed esthetician for a combination peel? usually it is a low level acid with an enzyme mask. The results are great and prices are lower than a derms office and safer than a store bought peel.
skincarefreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scarred myself from a at home peel. I had used a 60% before and it had worked fine, but when I used the 60% glycolic again for only a minute I broke my skin and to this day I have a scar on my chin. So be careful
Lola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
First of all thank you for your suggestions. I actually have already started doing my at home peels. I ordered a 30% Glycolic Peel from Platinum Skincare.com, and I had the peel at home for about 3 weeks before I actually worked up the nerve to try it. I took every precaution possible before the first peel. I finally tried it about 2 weeks ago, and was just fine. I set my timer for 3 mins, and applied the peel. I was just fine, I simply experienced a bit of tingling and that was it. After I washed the peel off I patted my skin with a mixture of Emu Oil and Copper Serum. Also, the peel didn't leave my skin red or anything. I suppose it's because I've been treating my skin with 10% glycolic acid pads every night. I will continue the peels every 3 months, along with wearing my spf 35 sunblock.
antti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which skin peel to try Reply with quote

Lola wrote:
Hi,
I was curious...I want to try doing an at home peel. I have been researching for a while, but I want to make sure I make the best choice.

The best choice is a medium chemical peel with TCA since goes deeper into your skin than light peels (glycolic, lactic acid, AHA) and you get faster, better and longer lasting results. Start with a 10% TCA solution for a couple of times and then move up to 15%, 20% and 25% TCA gradually over time. Keep 4 weeks apart each treatment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Non-Invasive Procedures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: