You are here: Anti-Aging Skin Treatments > Invasive Methods >
Back to Invasive Methods
What You Should Know about the Risks and Benefits of Plastic Surgery.
Topical treatments can help improve fine wrinkles and skin texture. However, rapid and dramatic improvements are more likely to be achieved with plastic surgery. But don't rush to schedule your plastic surgery just yet. First, here are some facts you should know.
- Plastic surgery is expensive. In the US, a facelift costs from $6,000 to $15,000.
- Any surgery is potentially dangerous, including plastic surgery. Complications are rare but they do occur, ranging from scarring to fatalities. Plastic surgery may be particularly risky if you have certain health conditions (e.g. diabetes).
- Everyone is different. Some people do much better than others, even when treated by the same plastic surgeon.
- It may take several weeks or months before your face fully recovers from plastic surgery.
- Plastic surgery might adversely affect the physiology of your skin and underlying tissues, speeding up the aging process.
If you decide to undergo plastic surgery, keep in mind the following.
- With plastic surgery, more is not necessarily better. For instance, too tight or too frequent facelifts may create a distorted, unnatural look. The result may be worse than having no plastic surgery at all.
- Find a board certified surgeon with a vast experience in the plastic surgery. Search thoroughly, compare different plastic surgeons, talk to their former patients.
- It is somewhat more risky to have plastic surgery in a surgeon's office than in a hospital. If you are having an in-office plastic surgery, make sure that the facility is accredited by AAAASF (The American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities).
- Plastic surgery does not slow down the aging of the skin but may actually accelerate it. Therefore, plastic surgery is not a substitute for skin rejuvenation measures discussed in various articles at Smart Skin Care Site. Actually, after a plastic surgery you should be even more diligent in preserving your skin's youth.
- Before going for plastic surgery, give a few month try to topical skin rejuvenation treatments (see Treatments section of this site). The results may be dramatic enough to change your mind.
Back to Anti-Aging Skin Treatments
About Us |
Contact Us |
Ask a Question
Copyright © 1999-2017 by Dr. G. Todorov / SmartSkinCare.com
Site Disclaimer | Copyright Certification
-- advertisements --